battis.net and I'm all out of bubble gum…

I just mentioned that my wife switches between two different iTunes libraries, including one that lives on a shared volume on our home server. There’s a great tip on Stack Overflow for writing a script to automate that swap between iTunes libraries (rather than having to hold down option while iTunes loads and then click around to find the library you want). But it seemed like it might be nice to document for posterity the full script that we’ve built, since it handles not just the library swapping, but also the mounting of the shared volume as well.

This script takes a little prep work, both generating the library location property and storing the authentication information in the user keychain. The Stack Overflow tip explains the former, and the latter is as easy as connecting to the server and remembering to check the “Save Authentication” checkbox during the authentication process.

March 18th, 2014

Posted In: How To

Tags: , ,

A bit of background: my wife has an iTunes library that is too large to fit comfortably on her MacBook Air (in all fairness: I have an iTunes library that is too large to fit on her MacBook Air, my MacBook Pro and several other laptops as well). She maintains a local library on her laptop for use at school (useful movies, songs, etc.) and stores her “real” library on our home server. Which involves a bit of fiddling to get it to work. The key issue is that she needs iTunes to load her library off of a shared disk. And, periodically (maybe every couple of months), something goes haywire and she gets this error:

The iTunes library Library file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file.

Needless to say, this is exasperating.

There are a number of suggested solutions out there, and I keep forgetting to bookmark “the one” that works. On my last search, I realized that this was because none of them are really the answer that works in our situation. Here’s what works (and I’m posting this as a note for self):

  1. Disconnect the laptop from the server (quitting iTunes first, of course).
  2. On the server, unset the nouchg flag (not 100% that this is necessary 100% of the time, but it’s necessary at least some of the time):
    sudo chflags -R nouchg
  3. Reboot the server.
  4. Reconnect from the laptop and rejoice.

At least, that’s what worked this evening, and it felt really familiar. (There’s an unspoken step 2a, of course: cancel the multi-hour process on the server that you had queued up moments before iTunes started misbehaving. Argh.)

March 18th, 2014

Posted In: How To

Tags: , , ,

css.php